Sunday, October 26, 2008

Original Zin

Whenever people ask me to recommend a Zinfandel, I often feel as though the world is ending. Just the memories of one too many sickly sweet, overripe Zins with too much weight are enough to make me feel sick. I've battled a feeling that this grape is the Original Sin of the wine world. Imagine a world where the jammy, sludge-like qualities of a poorly made California Zin become the standard-bearer for all California reds? Oh, the horror.

Despite my feelings toward Zin, I have recently come across a few that I have quite enjoyed-- much to my own surprise. The 2004 Graziano Mendocino Zinfandel has a hearty, earthy essence that seems to ring true to the family's Italian roots. Furthermore, the Mendocino climate seems to take a tougher toll on the grape, which, thankfully, thins out the flavor and roughs it up a bit for a lighter-style wine. This wine retails for about $18.00.

Another winner is the Quivira's Steelhead 2006 Dry Creek Zinfandel. Spicy and earthy with full cherry and plum and a touch of tannin, this medium to full-bodied Zin has balance and a refreshingly tart little finish. And the great thing is, Steelhead is the official wine of Trout Unlimited and a percentage of proceeds from the sale of each bottle goes toward that organization.

So, for those of you who are Zin-weary, the above wines just might win you over. And, if you were a Zin drinker before, expand your palate by giving these unique wines a try.


Cheers!

www.grazianofamilyofwines.com
www.quivirawine.com

No comments: